For years I made my own laundry soap but it was the liquid kind. I loved it. I loved making it and I loved using it. Then I got a front loader and the front loader didn't love it. Finally I'm trying the powdered version. So our Saturday night date included a trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond for an immersion blender (I don't have a food processor) and now our house smells divine. The washer is running and all is well. First we grated a bar of Fels-Naptha Soap. They carry this soap at most grocery stores and Target. It's cheap and you can buy it in bulk online (amazon is my one stop shop of choice).

Next we used my brand new immersion blender to turn the soap into a powder.
Next we used my brand new immersion blender to turn the soap into a powder.
After that we added in 1 Cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (note - this is WASHING Soda not Baking Soda. Most grocery stores carry this as well as Target and, again, you can buy it on amazon). After that we mixed in 1/2 Cup of Borax.
I plan to double the recipe next time. All told this took us maybe 8 minutes. It's super cheap and environmentally friendly. It's good to be back in the laundry soap making game. I haven't done this in a year. I missed it. I asked Jesse if he thought I was weird for enjoying things like this. He said he didn't and that he liked it too. Not bad for a Saturday night date. (You use 1 TBS for a light load of laundry and 2 TBS for a heavier load. Happy washing.)

5 comments:
Cool! I plan to try this recipe since I've always wanted to make laundry soap (really!...well at least for the last year or so:-/) This is like our date nights of shopping at Costco, but A LOT cheaper:-)
Sandra
Thanks for posting, Amy! I have posted my laundry soap recipes in the past. And, NO you aren't weird to like making these kinds of things! It's great to use natural ingredients for your family and to save money too. :)
Oh, meant to ask, is this safe for a H.E. machine?
I've wanted to try this for a while, but don't think I have all the supplies I need to do it. (Containers?)
Some day.... You can tell, because the ingredients are on my Amazon wishlist... :)
I just ordered enough of the products to make at least 6 batches of this laundry soap recipe. I'm so excited to give it a try!
Personally, I'm a tightwad and am always looking at a way to save money...so I price compared with Amazon and taking the time to call my local hardware stores to see who had the best prices. In short, I was able to buy 2 more bars of the Fels-Naptha Bars, and an extra box of the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda for $6.00 LESS than what I would have paid in buying only 4 bars of soap, and a box each of the Washing Soda and Borax from Amazon. HAPPY LAUNDRY SAVINGS!!!
God bless, Connie (Facebook friend)
Post a Comment