Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Story Cookies

The years that we don't attend the Easter Vigil we make Easter Story Cookies.  I love the idea and the kids really enjoy the symbolism.

First we beat the pecans like Jesus was beaten.
 

Next we smell vinegar (not pictured), beat egg whites (also not pictured) and taste salt before we throw it into the bowl.  The vinegar represents the wine on the sponge when Jesus said "I thirst" and the salt represents the tears of Jesus' followers.
 
 

Sugar, mixing, mixing, and more mixing...
 

Finally it's ready for the pecan pieces and to made into mounds which represent the stone in front of Jesus' tomb.

Into the oven they go and the kids tape the oven shut until tomorrow morning when the cookies will be baked and hollow in the inside like Jesus' tomb was empty.  And now they are off to bed.....
 
 

1 comment:

Iris said...

The babysat and I are going to do this next year. What a beautiful idea...