I came upon this fabulous idea in my daily blog reading. We've been working on gratitude and giving thanks for what we have alot around here. It's something *I* have to work especially hard on since I'm a "glass half empty" kind of person. I've mentioned before that I have the "1000 Gifts" APP on my phone and I am also keeping a separate gratitude journal but I wanted something concrete that the kids could use too. So I found this old jar, cleaned it up, used some window crayon to decorate it and here it is.
Mary was the first to write down her gratitude and she wrote "Hannah". I thought that was especially sweet. Little ones take right to this and can think of 1000 things in 2 hours just for the love of it. That's what I love about my kids and teens. I learn so much from them. I hope we fill this jar quickly and that my children learn the art of appreciation. Especially the art of appreciating the everyday blessings that we tend to take for granted (like I really LOVE it when Jesse thanks me EVERY night for making dinner. Even if it's grilled cheese. He says "thank you" in front of the kids and they follow suit.) Is that awesome or what? It makes sense to thank whoever cooks your meal (or pays the bills or washes your laundry or feeds the dog) but how many of us remember to do it? And, of course, in prayer we must remember in the midst of our asking God for things to THANK HIM for all he has BLESSED us with.

No comments:
Post a Comment